When talking about the elasticity of your hair, it means how much can your hair be stretched and return to it’s original length, without breaking. Hair with normal elasticity can be stretched, when wet, up to 50% of its original length and will easily return back without breaking. Hair with low elasticity is brittle, will not return to its original length when released, and usually snaps or breaks easily when stretched.
More than any other hair property, elasticity is what dictates your hair’s ability to hold its curl. Healthy hair has a high elasticity, which gives it bounce, body, curl formation and is easily styled.
Special caution should be taken with wet hair. Hair saturated with water is fragile and can stretch much more easily than when it is dry. It is very easy to exceed the yield strength when hair is wet and permanently diminish its elasticity, or even cause breakage. For this reason, it is crucial to use care when handling and combing wet hair.
So How Do I Find out the Elasticity of my Hair?
- Wet a single strand, then stretch it to 50% of its original length. If it bounces back to its original length without breaking, you have normal elasticity. If it does not return to its original length or breaks, you have low elasticity.
- Brittle and highly susceptible to breakage
- Hard to curl and will lose it curl quickly
- Previous overprocessing and excessive heat styling are the biggest reasons for low elasticity
- No elasticity = dry damage, high porosity and less curl
- Products with protein are recommended to help repair damaged hair
- Deep conditioning treatments will help strengthen hair and prevent breakage
- Detanglers help prevent breakage when combing / brushing
African Flair products that may help increase hair elasticity:
Finally, lets look at the fifth and last factor that defines your hair, the wave pattern…
We recommend these products to increase elasticity
A reparative leave-in conditioner that softens and detangles hair. Nourishes, moisturizes and supports elasticity so hair resists breakage when detangling.
This deep conditioning masque restores strength and resilience to damaged, brittle or chemically processed hair. Perfect for those who regularly color, straighten, perm or heat style their hair, as well as kinky, curly or wavy natural styles.
Deeply moisturizes and repairs dry, damaged or over-processed hair. An all-natural intensive treatment perfect for transitioning chemically treated hair to healthy natural hair.
Detangles, moisturizes, repairs and restores lifeless dry, damaged or over-processed hair.
Cleanses, hydrates and repairs dry, damaged or over-processed hair. Sulfate-free.
For dry, damaged hair it strengthens, smoothes and restores brilliant shine. Promotes healthy growth while transitioning chemically treated hair to natural healthy hair.
A creamy herbal conditioner and detangler designed to smooth the cuticle and remove knots, snarls and tangles from thick curly textured hair.
This lightweight daily conditioner for thick, curly hair restores and smoothes dry hair cuticles. No more knots, snarls and tangles. Helps tame frizz as it defines and enhances natural curls.
Curl & Style Milk for thick, curly hair detangles, conditions and controls curls while restoring body and shine.