The texture of your hair is one of the most important determining factors in how you should care for your hair. Your hair texture has nothing to do whether your hair is curly or not, nor how the hair feels.
Hair texture actually relates to the thickness (or diameter) of a single strand of hair and there are 3 types: fine, medium and coarse.
So How Do I Know What Type of Hair I Have?
Test 1 – The Thread Test
- Take a single strand of hair from your head and place it next to a piece of cotton thread
- If your hair is similar in thickness to the thread, then you have medium texture hair
- If your hair is thinner than the thread, then your hair is fine
- And if your hair is thicker, then you have coarse hair
Test 2 – The Feel Test
- Take a single strand of hair and place it between your fingers
- If you can’t feel the hair, then you’ve got fine hair
- If you can just feel the hair, then your hair is medium
- And if your hair feels thick and strong, then you have coarse hair
- Thinnest hair strand of all the textures
- The most fragile and can be easily damaged
- It often appears very limp and seems dry when actually it is often over-moisturized. Fine hair is also often oilier than other hair types
- It is difficult to style as it does not hold style well
- It is the easiest to process and easiest to damage with chemical processing
- Avoid humectants and emollients
- Use hair products with added proteins in them, to strengthen hair
African Flair products that may suit fine hair:
- SheaMoisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Masque
- SheaMoisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Shampoo
- Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-wash Conditioning Cleanser
Medium / ‘Normal’ hair
- This is the most common type or ‘normal’ hair texture
- It has the most styling flexibility of the three types
- It does not pose any special concerns or problems
- Medium texture hair supports products with a wide range of ingredients
- Usually advisable to avoid protein in penetrating products, e.g. deep treatments
- Apply hot oil treatments and deep condition regularly (once a week)
African Flair products that suit medium / ‘normal’ hair:
- Coarse hair is the thickest of the three types and has the strongest structure
- It appears full and voluminous
- It is often very dry and brittle, due to an over-abundance of protein
- It requires more processing than other hair types and is more resistant to heat processing
- It is more difficult for hair colouring, lighteners, permanent waving & chemical hair relaxers to penetrate coarse hair
- Use humectants and emollients and products that seal in moisture
- Avoid protein rich products, as coarse hair has lots of protein already and can cause dry, hard, ‘straw’ effect
African Flair products that suit coarse hair:
Next, we’ll be looking at 2nd thing you need to know about your hair, and just as important as texture – your hair Porosity…
We recommend these products for fine texture hair
Yucca & Plantain Range
A fortifying conditioner that detangles and smoothes hair cuticles to reduce frizz and improve the appearance of split ends.
Intensive treatment that deeply penetrates to condition and smooth frazzled strands with a nutrient-rich fortifying formula. Transforms frizzy hair into sleek, healthy strands.
Yucca & Plantain Range
A sulfate-free shampoo that gently cleanses hair and scalp, removing impurities and product build-up.
Activates curls, delivers volume & shine. Reveals frizz-free, bouncy curls.
This Sulfate-free conditioning cleanser removes impurities without stripping hair of natural oils. Lightweight moisturizers soften and control frizz in one easy step. Leaves curls vibrantly bouncy.
We recommend these products for medium & coarse texture hair
Provides intense moisture leaving hair soft & manageable. Formulated for damaged, dry or coarse hair.
Contains 100% pure olive oil for deep conditioning while maintaining maximum hold.
This 100% organic oil will strengthen and increase the length of your hair.
Detangles, moisturizes, repairs and restores lifeless dry, damaged or over-processed hair.
This lightweight daily conditioner for thick, curly hair restores and smoothes dry hair cuticles. No more knots, snarls and tangles. Helps tame frizz as it defines and enhances natural curls.
Curl Enhancing Smoothie defines curls, reduces frizz and smoothes hair for a soft, silky feel. Restores moisture, creates brilliant shine and conditions hair without weighing it down for bouncy, healthy curls.
A creamy herbal conditioner and detangler designed to smooth the cuticle and remove knots, snarls and tangles from thick curly textured hair.